Sunday, September 9, 2007

Finally Posting....

Still knitting, spinning and crocheting....All is still the same. The change I was looking for has not happened....this is fortunate and unfortunate. Fortunate because, at this point, the only way for a big change to happen would be for Steve to lose his job (that is not an option!!!!). Unfortunate because I would like to fulfill my dream of living in Maine. I guess I just have to be patient.

Let's see, off the needles...FINALLY finished the purple stole I have been working on since Feb/Mar - knitting a blanket for a friend's baby. On the needles...feather and fan stole (x2 - one with handspun); Glamour Capelet in Cash Iroha; a triangle shawl in Malabrigo lace weight. On the crochet hook - a tablecloth from a Russian doily magazine (translated by me!). On the bobbins - merino/silk blend and mohair.

Friday, Steve and I are hopping a plane to Rochester, NY to go to the Finger Lakes Fiber Festival in Hemlock. We will be meeting up with Jody for the festival. Then, Saturday night, we will have dinner with Jody and her family. We don't have a set schedule for Sunday, but we are hoping to make it to Niagara Falls and a couple of lighthouses along the way. We will return to Orlando on Monday. I am sure the return will be bittersweet as always - good to be going home, but sad to be leaving.

Back to the crocheting....I was on EBAY and came upon a magazine with a couple of doily patterns that I wanted to try. After looking a little closer at the item, I discovered the magazine was in RUSSIAN! I though "what the heck, I'll get a Russian/English dictionary and if I get stumped, I have a friend that is Russian". The translation was a little easier than I thought it would be, so I thought, "what the heck, I'll get a couple of books and CDs and teach myself Russian". Learning Russian has been more difficult than I thought it would be. The whole different alphabet thing doesn't help - especially since there are a few letters that look the same as the English letter, but they have a completely different sound. After looking a the letter B for 32 years and thinking - bee, it is hard to look at it and think vee!!!!!

Hopefully, I will be able to post from New York, so I can write about all of the fun I am having and all of the wonderful yarn and fiber I saw (and bought)!

No comments: