Sunday, March 11, 2007

The First Couple of Days

As I sit in our lovely room at the Hartstone Inn in Camden, ME, listening to the church bells chime, and looking out the window at the snow lined street, I think about the whirlwind the past two days have been. Just yesterday, I was at home in Orlando, FL....now I am sitting in Camden, ME.

Yesterday started very early, as you can probably imagine with our flight leaving at 7am. Oddly enough, everything ran so smoothly on the way to the airport, we got there 30 minutes earlier than we had planned. We had upgraded to first class so we were able to check in the first class line - which took all of 15 minutes...better than the hour or more we probably would have waited if we hadn't upgraded. Shockingly, the line for security did not stretch across the airport, so that was fairly quick. We were at our gate (why is the gate we leave from always the farthest away?) with more than an hour to spare. Fortunately, the flight to DC was uneventful...and the flight from DC to Boston was also uneventful. The only problem we encountered was being about an hour late. When we got to the rental car place, I stayed outside with luggage while DH went in to take care of the paperwork. I knew he had reserved a Chevy Equinox....but it turned out to be a laser blue Equinox. For those of you who know us, you will find that ironic - for those of you who don't, our regular car is a laser blue Equinox. This makes finding the rental MUCH easier! :-) Last night we stayed in Peabody, MA, because I knew we would both be very tired and need a break before making the drive to the glorious state of Maine!

Being a cranky time of year for the weather up here, DH & I have been watching the forecasts intently for the past several weeks. When we first started looking, the forecast was for it to be in the 20s during the day and below 10 at night! It was much to our delight when the forecast started changing more in our favor. Today, it has been around 50 (except when we were at Nubble Lighthouse, 39 there) and mostly clear with a few clouds and a nice soft breeze. Don't get me wrong here, it is still Maine, and the breeze has a little nip to it. The weather will be going down hill as the week wears on, but we will have a few nice days.

I have never seen snow like this before....it is EVERYWHERE and it is beautiful!!!! I am sure I am the only person that would love to deal with this every year. Some of the rivers are frozen over, but, because of the temperature, they are starting to thaw. It looks so cool (literally and figuratively). I took a few pictures today but not too many because we were trying to get here and get settled. I have posted the pictures on Flickr.

It feels so right for me to be up here. It is almost like I have come home. I can breathe easier and it feels like my heart rate has decreased. I have so much more energy and drive to do things. Maybe it is because it is something different, maybe it is because this is where I am supposed to be.

Tomorrow will be a day for searching out new places, taking alot of pictures and looking for yarn/fiber shops! Will update again tomorrow night!!!! :-)

No comments: