Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Rest of the Trip....

Amazingly we made it home without a hitch. I say that because all of the flight delays, cancellations and over bookings that took place this past weekend because of the storm Friday/Friday night.

Friday morning we left York heading to Rockport, MA and a little B&B - The Tuck Inn. In my previous posts, I had failed to mention I picked up a cute little pair of brown loafers at the Naturalizer outlet. Well, I only had white socks, which looked really funny with the brown shoes. SO....on the way south, I requested for DH to stop at the Sox Market in the Kittery Outlets. I got some brown socks, so I would feel like I looked more presentable. DH got cranky because he was worried we were going to get caught in bad weather....Of course, further south we got, the heavier the snow became. I was getting a little uptight worrying about ice on the road, but DH was driving like a pro (he is originally from the NE). We made it to B&B about 2:30/3 and with no time to spare....the skies opened up! It was snowing like crazy. DH took the laptop, I took my spinning wheel & knitting and we set up camp in one of the common rooms at the B&B. The snow was getting harder and harder and it was blowing sideways...I was thinking to myself, "if this was rain, I would be under a bed somewhere!" At this point, we had to decide what we wanted for dinner and how we were going to get it. The innkeeper told us about a little pizza place at the end of the block. DH braved the storm and walked to get the pizza - he did not have a hat, gloves, scarf or boots!!!! The good thing was that he was only gone for about 5 minutes. Three other guests at the inn visited the same little pizza place for dinner that night - I think they did a bang up business that night!

About 8, we decided to call it a night and headed to our room. I went to sleep fairly easily. About 12:30 AM, something woke me up. It was the sound of sleet being driven by the 30+ mph winds against the roof, windows and house! That was a little uncomfortable for me, but I made it through. By about 5 AM, the sleet had turned to rain! It was an icy mess.

Regardless, we had breakfast and decided to brave the elements and roads. We headed out. Originally, we were heading towards Salem, but we decided to go to the Textile Museum in Lowell instead. I think it was a great decision. I was captivated (of course) - different styles of spinning wheels, looms, machinery, articles of clothing, etc. The exhibits will be completed by the end of this year...but it was still a great learning experience. We went to Uxbridge next. I had heard there was a yarn shop in the Bernat Mill Plaza. Unfortunately, the yarn shop was not there....but the Bernat Mill Plaza was. I convinced DH to go in so we could walk around for a bit. This building used to be an actual Bernat Mill. The building still had the wood floors, high ceiling and warehouse feel from when it was a working mill. The coolest thing was they had a few pieces of the machinery still there....I wish I had brought my camera inside! I surprised DH with a little trivia bit - his paternal grandmother used to work there (at least, that is what I understood his mom to tell me). He was shocked that I knew that and I think our little stroll through the building took on a different meaning for him. At some point that day, we ended up in Foxboro at Gillette Stadium (DH's version of a yarn shop).

The next day (Sunday), we really did head for Salem. If you are ever in Salem and want a good breakfast, go to Red's - http://www.redssandwichshop.com/. We visited the the House of Seven Gables. I was very disappointed. It was not what I expected at all. Oh well, it was still neat being in a house that Nathaniel Hawthorne had been in. While we were walking around the grounds at the House of Seven Gables, I found a lighthouse that I had looked for the previous times I was in Salem and could never find! Next, we headed to Red's for a good lunch/breakfast. From here, we headed to Boston and Fenway Park (another of DH's "yarn shops"). I sat in the truck while he walked all of the way around the Park taking pictures. We stay this night (the final night) in a Hampton Inn in Peabody.

We flew out of Boston at 2:20 on Monday....and got home at about 9:30/10:00.

1 comment:

KnitChick said...

Hooray!! So happy to hear you had such a great time! Yes, the snow is beautiful when it's coming down like that...but having to go out and maneuver through it can definitely be less than fun, as it sounds like you found out!

Sorry I missed you today - knitting class was awesome! So awesome that I'm going to Sip & Knit tomorrow for her other class!

Hey, you wanna dress in period clothing and spin with me in St. Augustine next Saturday? I'm going, and would be happy to drive you as well if you want to go...

Oh, and I got another magnet to go with the smiley today! See my newest post (ok, I'm about to write it, so if you're really quick you won't see it) for more details! *wave*