Thursday, November 1, 2007

Another Weekend

Last weekend (10/27 & 10/28), I spent both days spinning and knitting at Knit-N-Needle Nook in Mount Dora. The Mount Dora Craft Fair was taking place and Lora asked if I would be willing to come and spin. As I am one to never give up an opportunity to share my craft, I willingly agreed. Both days were wonderful and each day had it's own little great moments.

I believe Saturday must have been International Day at the shop because people from all over the world (Ireland, Germany, Dominican Republic, England and Russia) came to the shop. I really enjoyed a family from Ireland that came in - Mom, Dad and Daughter (6 years old). Daughter was very well behaved and well mannered. As with most 6 year olds, she got a little antsy after a while, but never once did she misbehave. I spent quite a bit of time talking with Dad while Mom was looking around at the yarns. He was telling me Ireland did not have many yarn shops at all. He said that maybe two or three, and those did not have great selection, so Mom had made a list of the yarns she wanted to pick up while on holiday over here. I was thinking a harmless little list of maybe a page or two...When Mom asked Dad for the list, he pulled about 15 pages out of his bag and I gasped in amazement - it kinda reminded me of my book wish list! In a disbelieving voice, I asked if that was the list. He grinned, rolled his eyes a little and said yes. During my conversation with him I found out that when they retire, they would like to have a winter house in Florida and a summer house in Maine (sound familiar, except mine would be a fall, winter, summer, spring, mud house). They also wanted to have an RV so they could travel to all of the states here. I told him there was a little irony in what he was telling me because I would love to travel Ireland, Scotland and England and even have a home over there. I gave him one of my cards to give to his wife, because I would really love to keep in touch with them.

Sunday was a little more subdued in the shop...but I think Sunday must have been New England day because there were a ton of people that came in with Red Sox (WOOHOO!!!! World Series Champs again!!!!) gear on and with the accent that I love! I actually walked around Mount Dora and looked at the wares being offered. Towards the end of the day, a group of ladies came into the shop. Two of them were not knitters so they sat down on the wagon wheel bench. One of the ladies was showing a beautiful knitted hat and pair of socks she had picked up at a booth. She said the people that were at the booth own an alpaca farm. I asked if she saw any fiber or yarn. She said she wasn't looking for that, so she didn't know. I asked where the booth was. She told me, using the phrase "right next to the lady with the loom". Of course, my heart started pounding at that and I couldn't get out of the shop quick enough! Well, unfortunately, the alpaca booth did not have any fiber, but she did have yarn...Which, as you can probably guess, I bought some of and, as is generally the way, she discounted it! We talked some about spinning and she said that a group is a member of has a show in Jacksonville in February. They would like to have spinners there, but can never find any. Of course, I volunteered. We have since traded e-mails and she had told me who to contact to get things set up.

This upcoming weekend is Pioneer Day in Brooksville, FL..Look for the pictures Saturday evening!

5 comments:

KnitChick said...

It's Saturday evening...where are the pictures?? :) I did put some on my blog...

Anonymous said...

I see you are in Orlando - which shop do you work at? I was down there last spring on business and visited Sip & Knit - I really enjoyed that shop (and bought some yarn!). Oh, and just got back from a long-planned visit to Ireland. They're right about the lack of yarn shops there. I found some yarn accidentally (really!) in a drapery shop I ducked into to ask directions. Talk about knitting karma!

Kappy111 said...

Terry -- Unfortunately (or it is probably fortunate) I do not work at a LYS. I do frequent Knit-N-Needle Nook in Mount Dora. Next time you are in the area, it is worth the drive from Orlando (about 45 minutes). As to finding yarn in strange places...I was at the House of Seven Gables museum in Salem, MA and found a couple of skeins (literally, only two) of hand dyed yarn for sale!

KnitChick said...

So of course you bought them both? ;)

Kappy111 said...

Knitchick...you think you are sooo funny, don't you??? :-) Of course I bought both of them! I couldn't let them stay there. They looked lonely!