Friday, February 2, 2007

BAD MORNING HERE

During the early morning hours, some severe weather started moving into our area. Unfortunately, some areas north of where I live sustained some very significant damage - a church is completely gone in Lady Lake, destroyed homes, trees uprooted. Since about 1 AM, I have seen about 6 tornado warnings...I am TERRIFIED of storms. Actually, I am so scared of storms, I leave my house for a hotel if the storms are supposed to come in during the night. I know that sounds silly, but, to me, it is not.

I have never been through a tornado, but I have seen a funnel cloud as I was leaving the mobile home I used to live in. Also, a tornado, spawned by Hurricane Ivan several years ago, hit my mom's house. The tornado had gone right over their house. They did have some serious damage - trees uprooted, tree twisted and broken in half, limbs down, a limb through the wall of a bedroom, a limb through the passenger side windows of her SUV....Luckily, she and my stepfather were okay, except for being shaken up. My DH & I drove up the next Saturday. I have never seen sights like I saw that day - huge pine trees snapped in half as far as you could see, pine saplings bent over the road like a canopy, clear land where there was a thickly wooded area. I clearly remember asking DH, "where are all of the trees?". I could hardly breathe by the time I got to my mom's house. My mom and stepfather had to live in a hotel for several weeks, but, eventually, they were able to go home. The strange thing through all of this was that they NEVER lost phone service!

I have had my fear of storms since long before this happened. However, every time I hear talk of severe weather, those are the images that go through my mind. I have a coping method that works, somewhat....I have a Sony Walkman that I turn on and turn up so loud I cannot hear the thunder. I go into my guest room, get in the bed, cover my head and try to sleep...This is if the storms are during the day.

Well, I am going to try to get some sleep now....I will post more later....

No comments: