Sunday, February 4, 2007

Getting More and More Familiar with Mount Dora

Guess where I ended up again today? Yep, that's right Mount Dora, but not the reason you are probably thinking. We went for the Mount Dora Art Festival today. it is truly amazing the variety of talents people have...painting, photography, glass blowing, ceramics, making jewelry, turning wood, etc. I found this really great original watercolor of chickens, and since my mom collections chickens, I bought it for her. The lady that painted it was super nice. She lives on a farm in KY and she draws her inspiration from her farm and her Amish neighbors. She was showing us some of her doodles that she had done...They were all of her pet goat - Tudor. I have a link to her site in my "sites" section.

We walked around for about an hour and half. Unfortunately (for DH), as we were walking down Fifth Avenue to leave, I happened to notice the door to my favorite yarn shop was open. Promising DH I would stay at the fifty cents shelf, I ventured in. I was met by a hardy "good morning, Kelley" from one of the owners. Darn it! I had tried to disguise myself today with a baseball cap....but it didn't do any good! 45 skeins of yarn later (all fifty cents each), I left. Man, they really need to hurry and finish with this yarn sale....I am going to end up spending all of my savings! I really don't think it is the yarn so much as the hunt for the yarn. Just going through all of that yarn, it so gratifying...it's like looking for a diamond in the mud!

Today's diamonds:

Classic Elite - Newport Light - 7 skeins
Sjuntorp - Elite - 7 skeins
Plymouth Yarn Co - Cleo' Egyptian Cotton - 22 skeins
Austermann - Summertime - 9 skeins

Yesterday, I failed to mention that I had come to a realization about myself....I have become a yarn snob. I knew I was heading down that path, but it was confirmed yesterday. I was asking her if she would like some of my acrylics for her charity knitting and one of the ladies smiled and said "you have become a yarn snob". She told me that one becomes a yarn snob once you start trying to get rid of the acrylics to make room for the generally softer and higher quality cottons and linens and wools. As long as those cottons and linens and wools only cost fifty cents or a dollar, yarn snob-dom here I come!!! :-)

Jody, if you get this far, check out my Flickr site. I have a picture of the yarn I am bringing for your group's charity knitting stash....

1 comment:

KnitChick said...

OOoohhhh you're so evil!! Now that I'm seeing a LOT more selection in the $.50 bins... I WANT TO GO BACK!

That 7 hours of OT last week might come in handy yet...